Bio Nebraska, together with Marylinn Munson, is offering scholarships to Nebraska High School seniors in an effort to support and encourage students as they pursue relevant classroom study and professional experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)-related fields.
Scholarships are available to students who have been accepted at a Bio Nebraska approved Nebraska college, community college or university, are planning to enroll in an undergraduate course of study in a STEM-related field, and who plan to pursue a career with a STEM-related organization. A one-time scholarship payment of $2,500 may be awarded to up to four (4) high school seniors for 2022, at the discretion of the Bio Nebraska Education Committee.
Applicants for the Marylinn Munson/Bio Nebraska STEM Scholarship must:
- Be a Nebraska high school senior and Nebraska resident;
- Be accepted for enrollment at a Bio Nebraska-approved two or four-year Nebraska college, community college or university as a full-time student in a course of study in a STEM-related field;
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.2; and
- Exhibit professional aspirations to work in the STEM industry through an essay.
Application documents shall include the following:
- Completion of all fields on the online application form;
- Copy of official high school transcript;
- Copy of official college/university acceptance letter; and
- Two signed recommendation letters with no more than 1,000 words per letter – one of which must come from an applicant’s high school teacher in a STEM-related field. Letters can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Bio Nebraska, PO Box 24802, Omaha, NE 68124. Letters must be received by Bio Nebraska before 9:00 am CST on April 30, 2022.
Bio Nebraska Approved Scholarship Schools:
- Central Community College
- Chadron State College
- Creighton University
- Doane University
- Metropolitan Community College
- Midland University
- Northeast Community College
- Peru State College
- Southeast Community College
- University of Nebraska at Kearney
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- University of Nebraska Omaha
- Wayne State College
All applications must be submitted through the online application form below. Applications will be accepted starting March 1, 2022, and must be received before 9:00am CST April 30, 2022. Recipients will be announced in June 2022 and recognized by Bio Nebraska in its newsletter and social media channels and/or a Bio Nebraska event.
The Bio Nebraska Education Committee will review each application and make final decisions.
Selected recipients must submit their official fall class schedule to Bio Nebraska no later than September 30, 2022, to receive their scholarship. Funds will then be sent directly to the school bursar, for use in the student’s first year for tuition only. Failure to provide the official class schedule by the deadline will result in forfeiture of the scholarship.
About Marylinn Munson
Marylinn Munson has worked in the life science, biotechnology and agriculture industries for more than 20 years. Currently a VP at Neogen in Lincoln, NE, she heads the Genomics business which provides innovative testing for the discovery and commercial application of advance genetics. Marylinn has held international leadership roles at industry-leading biotech and life science companies. She managed the international genomics informatics field team at Qiagen; built and managed a field sales team and an international operations group where she was responsible for 60 percent of the entire global business at Illumina; and part of a Core Strategy Team, business development and marketing at Agilent. At Amersham Biosciences (GE Healthcare), Marylinn sold Next Generation Systems in North America, many of which were used as part of the Human Genome Project. Marylinn’s passion for excellence, people and customers has made her the recipient of several industry awards including the Federal Labs Consortium Award for Technology Transfer. She is listed as an inventor on U.S. patents, and serves on the boards of directors at Rain Incubator and RCI.
About Bio Nebraska
Founded in 2005, Bio Nebraska is a non-profit trade association dedicated to supporting and promoting Nebraska’s bioscience sector and ensuring the sector grows and thrives. Bio Nebraska is the only organization in the state representing over 100 bio-related entities in the human health, medical device, animal health, agriculture, renewable fuels and industrial biotech sectors, as well as educational institutions and service providers. For more information, visit bionebraska.org.