Bio Nebraska is committed to the growth and progress of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degrees and careers in Nebraska.
That is why Bio Nebraska began its Nebraska Women in STEM program, an initiative created to provide Nebraska women the opportunity to connect, discuss, and collaborate with colleagues and leaders in STEM careers and industries.
Why is supporting women in STEM important for Nebraska and its industries?
- Companies are missing out on the advantages of a diverse work -force; this will continue as more STEM careers are required
- STEM jobs overall are projected to increase and expected to face a shortage of workers
- Women account for about 47 percent of overall careers but make up only about a quarter of the nation’s STEM careers*
- Women receive about the same number of undergraduate degrees as men but receive only 30 percent of STEM degrees*
*”The STEM Gender GAP” – CQF Researcher, Sept. 7, 2018 – Volume 28, Issue 31
How does Bio Nebraska support women in STEM?
- Annual Celebrating Women in STEM Luncheon
- One day event for women in STEM professionals
- Expert speakers
- Board of advisors made up of women professionals
- Emotional Intelligence Workshop in January 2020
- Networking breakfast in March 2020 (Postponed for a later date)
- Increasing awareness on social media
- Member support through sponsorship